CURRENT EMERGENCIES BEING SUPPORTED
Caritas Australia is the Catholic agency for overseas aid and development. It aims to: help people to help themselves, regardless of race, political beliefs, gender or religion.
- Caritas is a Latin word meaning love, charity and compassion.
- Caritas Australia belongs to an international network called Caritas Internationalis which works with 154 organisations in 190 countries.
- Caritas Australia has a special partnership with many countries including Cambodia, East Timor, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Latin America and the Pacific. We work with the local people of each particular country in all of its programs. These local agencies are called "Partners", and these Partners are best placed to identify their needs and problems and to design and manage their own development programs.
- Caritas Australia does not need to spend money on building a new organisation every time a need arises. Donations can be directed to the local Partners. We then work together in addressing the causes of their poverty and bringing about long term change.
- Caritas Australia supports programs for human development and self- reliance. These include improving health, overcoming illiteracy, reducing environmental damage, conserving cultural identity and providing training for better agricultural practices.
- Caritas Australia has programs of education and advocacy within Australia, working to help Australians become aware of the causes of injustice and poverty and encouraging people to take action.