Child Safe Standards
To create and maintain a child safe organisation, an entity to which the standards apply must have:
- Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety
- A child safe policy or statement of commitment
- A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of abuse by new and existing personnel
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected abuse
- Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of abuse
- Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
In complying with the standards the organisation must include the following principles:
- promoting the cultural safety of Aboriginal children
- promoting the cultural safety of people from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds
- promoting the safety of people with a disability.
Below are links to access the Commission for Children and Young People tip sheets.