Greenmount Catholic Cemetery
THE only Catholic cemetery in Sale Diocese is at Greenmount, a few kilometres out of Yarram.
This small historic cemetery overlooks the Tarra River and the committee of management, aided by a small group of volunteers, have been progressively restoring the site. The cemetery is still available for burials, although the nearby Yarram Cemetery is more popular. Many of the headstones are in need of maintenance and the committee is always grateful for donations and to hear from descendants of those interred there
Greenmount Cemetery is one of only three consecrated Catholic cemeteries in Victoria and was originally part of the cattle run of pioneer settler Edmund Buckley. In December 1857 he donated the site to the Catholic Church for exclusive use of Cathoilic burials and the erection of a chapel. The chapel was never built. Perhaps impetus was lost after Buckley was thrown from his horse and died on April 27, 1859. Two days later he was buried at Greenmount, becoming the first burial at the cemetery.
There are more than 200 known burials at the cemetery, including many of the Yarram district's pioneers, but many graves have no headstones. There is only one vault and it contains the bodies of Patrick Brennan and his wife. Brennan was a large landowner who left a considerable legacy for philanthropic purposes. The first priest to die in the Gippsland Mission, Fr Phillip Kavanagh, was buried at Greenmount in 1883.
To inquire about funerals at Greenmount you should contact Mrs McAninly or parish administrator Fr Bernard Buckley on 03 5174 2060.